Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Historic walk thru Little Tokyo



A few years ago I was hired by the JET programme to teach English to elementary and middle school kids in rural Japan. It was one of those experiences that completely frustrated me while i was in the middle of it, but in hindsight was a wonderful adventure. I loved the food, the sights, and the blissful ignorance of complete illiteracy (okay, in all honesty, being illiterate was the most painful part of my time there). When I returned to Los Angeles, i had a realization that I didn't have to go half-way around the world to experience the delights of Japan, I just needed to pop down to Little Tokyo for a short afternoon visit.

I admit, I'm a regular at the ramen shop and I often pick up my favorite soda (Gokuri) at the Marukai. But i never contemplated the history of that little neighborhood. So recently, while skimming my JET newsletter, I saw a notice to do a Free Historical tour of Little Tokyo. I immediately signed up and was pretty excited about the overall experience. Did you know that there is a beautiful Japanese garden in the basement of the Japanese American cultural center? Or that Fugetsu-do mochi store is 100 years old? Or that during the period of time that Japanese Americans were sent to internment camps, that the African American population moved into the Little Tokyo neighborhood? And when the JA's were released from the camps, the African Americans gave them back their neighborhood and moved closer to South Central LA? Little Tokyo like many ethnic neighborhoods, has its share of great stories and hidden sights.

After our 2 hour walking adventure, my friend Caroline and I headed to Shabu Shabu. It was a delicious meal and the perfect end to a great afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment