Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fundraising

In 2 weeks I will be joining my cousin and 2 aunts in the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk in San Diego. I've participated in walks like this before and usually donate $100 of my money, and that's the end of it. But this year, I decided to challenge myself and see how much money I could raise, just by reaching out to my closest friends and family. I made it really easy on myself and simply sent out an email, put an ad on my Facebook page, and gently tossed it in to conversations when it seemed appropriate.

Anyhow, I have been overwhelmed by the response I have gotten from friends and family. I know they generally support me in all the crazy things I do (Ukelele lessons, online dating, skeet shooting) but none of my usual endeavors requires much more support than a simple, "Hey that's cool, you are trying (fill in the blank!)." To ask people for financial support (even if it is tax deductible) is hard and awkward. The fact that so many people donated more than the $1 I suggested makes me really proud of my friends and family's support.

All that, and I never had to explain to anyone why I was walking. Actually, that is the thing that bothers me the most. I don't think anyone asked, because I think, like myself, most people I know have been effected by Breast Cancer in some capacity. And they are donating, because they are thinking of their loved one. I wish this was a cause that effected a smaller population, but it effects everyone. And that is sad.

Here is what I learned from this experience: I don't have a future in fundraising, because I don't feel comfortable asking people for donations. Good to know, I can check that off my list.

If you would like to donate to the cause click here, anything you can give ($1, $5) is appreciated.


Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment