Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Persimmons

    When I lived in Japan, I was slightly obsessed with the trees that flowered with small, fruits covered in paper bags.  I would ask again and again, "what kind of fruits are on those trees?" And, "why are they hidden?"  The repeated answer was, "kaki."  A difficult word to translate, because I was unfamiliar with the fruit.
     Soon enough, I learned to love kaki...or persimmons.  The lightly, sweet fruits were like nothing I had ever tasted before.  Now, I look forward to the fall when persimmons become ripe and widely available.
     Last weekend, with a surplus of persimmons on hand, I decided to create a salsa using ingredients found in my refrigerator.

Basically, I chopped and minced the following, then mixed together in a bowl:
-2 Fuyu Persimmons
-Grated Ginger (about an inch worth)
-Fresh Mint
-1 Serrano Chile
-Red Onion
-Juice of one Lime

The salsa served with Sharp Cheddar Quesadillas were the perfect combination of sweet and savory.  So yummy, I highly recommend you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment