Thursday, December 17, 2009

At what point do you just walk out? - Dating Dilemma Thursday

Bad dates seem to be a dime a dozen these days.  I don't mean to sound cynical or incredibly jaded, but in all honesty, I think I'm currently batting one bad date a month on average.  The last one was with a friend of a friend, who kept asking me if I was uncomfortable around him, because I was crossing my arms: bad body language.  I explained it was a pinched nerve and it was the only comfortable position to hold my arm. Apparently, he didn't believe me as he asked me four times why I was giving off such mixed signals with my body language.  But that was minor, compared to the fact that he monopolized all the conversations, and spoke with anger and menace when talking about his family.  I have never been so happy to cut a date short, as this one was extremely awkward.  Surprisingly, it never occurred to me to walk out, I simply wanted to see how bad the date could get.  Which got me thinking, at what point does one actually walk out on a bad date?

Here are the results of a random Ichat poll: Under what circumstances have you walked out on a date?

NJ: "I walked out when a guy broke down and told me about his first suicide attempt.  Apparently he forgot to take the plastic cover off the razor he was planning to use.  Depressed AND Dumb!"

WB: "I have never walked out on a date.  However, I once dropped a girl off early, after she got really pissy about how the night was going."

RH: "I've never walked out on a date, but I should have.  There was a girl, who I went to pick up at her place, while I waited, she proceeded to ignore me as she flirted with her new male roommate.  When we finally got to dinner, she spent the whole time texting her roommate.  It was awful!"

BS: "I have never.  But if I were to walk out, the date would have to be just terrible, completely unbearable.  For instance, she would have to say something so racist that I couldn't even stand to look at her.  But if we rode together, I would still give her a ride home."

I guess, I should confess, I have only walked out on a date once.  It was a guy I had been dating for a few months, who announced, at my friend's birthday party, that he had spent the last weekend sleeping with another girl.  It took me a moment to internally debate the proper etiquette of how to best handle this situation.  But the night ended with me in my car, calling the boy who was still in the bar, and telling him, "I hope you have money for a taxi."  Then driving home, alone.  And puking from anxiety (I don't think that part was acceptable Emily Post protocol.)

No comments:

Post a Comment