Thursday, December 3, 2009

Dating Dilemma Thursday: Black Friday

Here is an interesting theory on dating, told to me by one of my favorite guys: "The cut off for going on a first date with a new person before the holidays is Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving).  If you haven't asked the person out by that point in time, you should wait until after New Years."
"Seriously?  Why set a limitation on when you can ask someone out?  Especially if they are a great person?"

He responded with a list of reasons, mainly that the holidays are such a busy time with parties, shopping, and catching up with family and friends, that its hard to focus on starting something new.  Plus the etiquette of whether or not to get a gift for the new person seems to be too much to focus on for this time of year.

Lucky for him, he was able to meet a nice girl the week of Thanksgiving, AND set up a date with her for Black Friday.  Perfect timing on his part.
In some ways, I am in agreement with him.  The weeks between Thanksgiving and New Years seem to fly by in a blur.  Seriously, its already December 3rd?  My social calendar is almost completely booked until January 4, I've actually had to schedule time for shopping so I wouldn't stress myself out.  Of course, I always make time for my dearest friends, and if someone special came along, I would make time for him, too.  But beginning something new during the holidays is tricky and a teensy bit stressful.

Now, many of my girlfriends, and a few guy friends think this theory is completely off.  The reason being that "timing will always be wrong, if you allow it to be."  In other words, if you meet someone amazing, go for it.  Don't worry about something so little, as the time of year.    And who knows, you could be lucky like my friend Natasha, who was set up with her now husband, Judson, early in December.  If they had played by the Post Black Friday rule they might never have met.

What do you think?  Is there any reason not to start something new, post Black Friday?  Email your stories to me at: kikuejewels at gmail.com

Oh and my solution to gift giving for a 2-3 week long relationship is simply to gift a copy of your favorite book.  It's not expensive, it's not sentimental, but simply thoughtful.  Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment