Thursday, January 7, 2010

Dating Dilemma - Where to meet a guy/girl?

The New Year is finally here and with it comes new beginnings.  I thought this week, I would put out a random survey to my friends and find out their best places to meet new people.  Here are the results:

Best place to meet a girl/guy:
Brian: Book Club (find a bookstore with a monthly book club and read the book. Then you're having conversation in the group before you've officially met, which gives you a chance to get a feel for somebody.  Then usually they have snacks and drinks after so you can introduce yourself and you already have a conversation starter....I met a really good girlfriend that way!)
Heidi: Bars
Koffeman: At friends' house or birthday parties.
Benji: If I knew that, I wouldn't have to call and ask you out all the time..... But seriously, where do all the local high schoolers hang out?
Marissa: Online dating sites
Joe: House parties
Kevin: No fucking clue.  If I knew, I'd be there now.
Niki: The grocery store actually has proven an interesting place to have easy things to strike up a "no pressure" conversation.  There or pretty much anywhere there is a line.
Ray: I usually have the best luck with setups from friends.  Also, clubs...anywhere with lots of people and alcohol.
Lani: Setups and through friends...although in my younger days I used to meet guys at the ski hill.
Nancy: Home depot, 8 oz burger bar or Big Wangs
Kimberly: Wherever the guy works.  Think about it.  Every guy you come across, whose job somehow interacts with you, is a guy who is talking to you and open to a conversation with you.  I've been asked for dates by - my mechanics, my baristas, my co-workers, my grocers...anyone I've had to speak with in a business capacity.  As long as I've been open, friendly, and in a good mood, I'll often get asked out.

Craziest place where you have met a girl/guy:
Brian: Work
Heidi: Reality show premier party... I ended up dating one of the contestants.
Koffeman: I once picked up a girl on a tracking board.
Benji: My apartment...there was a short film shooting there, and I asked out one of the actresses.
Marissa: Reality show premiere party.
Joe: an airplane
Niki: Returning a car to Hertz - in said rental car with the guy who was about to wash it. Yeah. Probably wasn't the wisest choice, but it was an attempt at proving I wasn't a snob.
Lani: I have had guys stop me on the street and ask me out and had notes sent to me on airplanes and in restaurants.  But getting approached out-of-the-blue by a stranger, kind of freaks me out, so I haven't actually given my number to any of those people.
Nancy (aka my friend, the Pickup Artist): My apartment, I once picked up my cable guy.  And in other apartments, the plumber and the carpet layer.  I also got picked up in traffic.  Actually, I dated the bellboy from my hotel in London for a long time and I've been dating a guy I met on the subway in Spain.
Kimberly: Trader Joes.  "You know how if you bring your own bag, you get a ticket for their grocery raffle?  Well, one day, he handed me two tickets and said, 'After you fill out that one, if you want to go out sometime, fill the other one out for me."  He was cute, so I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment