Friday, January 15, 2010

Not to be a downer, but...

About 6 years ago, my family was vacationing in Thailand when the tsunami hit.  Luckily, at the time we were in Chiang Mai, which is in the northern part of the country.  As we watched the BBC footage from the safety of our hotel room, my mother recognized the balcony of one of the restaurants they had just visited, 2 days before the tsunami.  As we watched that balcony became engulfed with water, my family wondered about the fates of all the nice people they had met only a few days before and we counted our blessings that we had been fortunate enough to be in a safe place.

So now, when I hear of horrible natural disasters, such as the recent earthquake in Haiti, I am reminded of that trip to Thailand.  And I take a moment to count my blessings and realize how fortunate I am to be in a safe place. Then I try to donate money or time to help with the relief aid, because you never know when or how something catastrophic will effect yourself or your family, and if you are like me, you want to believe that someone out there will be available to help.  So, today instead of posting a random blog entry, I thought I would put up a list of links to reputable organizations who have vowed to help with Relief Aid in Haiti:

Oxfam America 
American Red Cross
Food for the Hungry
Doctors Without Borders
International medical Corps

Indiefixx is an awesome blog that is doing a silent auction where 100% of the proceeds will go to the Red Cross response fund.  So you can shop and donate money (I love multi-tasking!).

No comments:

Post a Comment