Friday, November 19, 2010

And we're back...

So after a long hiatus of not writing on this blog, I'm back!  Over the last eight months, everything has changed.  I left my job, broke up with a guy I really liked, and figured out how to pick myself up and start from scratch.  In doing so, I've challenged myself to all sorts of personal experiments.  1) Try an array of random jobs (via volunteerism, informational interviews or otherwise) and find a passion.  2) 60 days of unlimited dating (basically, accept any date from anyone who asks...I got 35 dates out of this challenge).  3)Create an LA bucketlist of things I've always wanted to do, but never had the time.   4)Give up drinking alcohol for as many days as possible (I last 2 days at first, then tried again more seriously, and got thru about 20 days....its very hard when my social world revolves around bars.)

From all of these experiments, which sometimes placed me in unfamiliar and uncomfortable new territories, I learned a lot about myself.  I know what I can and cannot tolerate from guys, I've seen some really cool things in LA and I've met amazing people while doing career research.

So, I've decided to start another human experiment.  And this time, I will blog about it, so that others can follow along.

I need to simplify my life, wrangle my finances a little bit, and focus on quieter things (like reading all of the books I've been collecting or finishing the Sunday paper).  This challenge is all about living simply.  From November 22 - December 22, I will live on $75/week.  The basic break down for that is as follows:
Food: $5/day x 7 days = $35
+ Weeks worth of gas = $40
Grand Total per week = $75

Yes, I have bills to pay.  And they will be covered.  The $75 will only go towards food, gas, and spending money.  All of my credit cards will be frozen and I will only pay for things using cash.

It's going to be difficult, this is the holiday season and "time for giving," after all.  But, I've got a plan: Holiday cards will be made from things I have around the house, the same with gifts and wrapping.  I will dig through my wardrobe to recycle my party dresses for all holiday parties and become much more creative with my hostess gifts.  Cutting back on happy hours will be the hardest.  But, I won't have to miss out on my friends.  We will just have to do more wine and movie nights at home (I do have a subscription to Netflix after all!)  So stay tuned....November 22 is only 3 days away.

No comments:

Post a Comment