Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Simple Life - Day 1

My experiment in financial frugality began yesterday, with a trip to Disneyland.  Not the best place to go to save money.  And with a total amount of $75/week to spend, there was a real possibility that I would blow the entire week's budget on the first day.  Luckily, I already have a Disneyland annual pass that includes parking.  And in exchange for parking, Heidi offered to drive us (gas money savings!!).  So all I had to worry about was food.

I decided to pack a lunch of leftover bean chili, brown rice, sriracha and thai sweet chili sauce, some nuts and dried fruits, and half a bag of cheetos.  It was the perfect amount of food.  The chili and rice filled me up for most of the day and the snacks kept me from buying corndogs, cookies, or churros.  I also brought along my new Bobble water bottle. (This is a really cool product, you can fill it with tap water and it filters the water as you drink it.)

I would have gotten through the day without spending a single cent, except it was FREEZING cold outside, possibly the coldest day of the year.  So I bought some clam chowder.   It was tasty and expensive (relatively speaking!) after using my annual pass discount (10% on most food in the park) the cost came to $8.80...the equivalent of almost 2 days worth of food!

Not bad for the first day of the experiment.  I will have to be conscientious this week because of Thanksgiving and I promised to bring a rotisserie chicken, butternut squash, and pie to our dinner party.  Luckily my freezer is stocked with leftovers, so this week shouldn't be too tough.

Total spending so far for Week 1: $8.80
Money left to spend: $66.20


Elsewhere on the web:
~An article about 'Be Social,' the bi-monthly girls' night that I co-host with my fabulous friend Jacqui.
~My fashion and beauty tips for a bad economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment