Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Simple Life - Day 3

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Yesterday was definitely a "spendy" day for me.  I've been house/dog sitting in Glendale, and the trips between the Glendale house and my West Hollywood apartment are beginning to burn a lot of extra gas.  So I started my day by refueling.  Total cost: $31.50 (I only needed 3/4 of a tank).  Then I headed home to get a jump start on my Thanksgiving cooking.  I spent almost an hour dicing butternut and acorn squash.  My plan is to toss the squash in olive oil, rosemary and thyme, then bake until crispy in the oven.   Then sprinkle Ricotta Salata over the finished product.  Should be delicious!  Of course the cost of Ricotta Salata isn't cheap: $3.69/half pound.

My adventures in House/Dogsitting have definitely kept me busy.  Angel, the golden retriever had an ear infection, and I've recently had to spend quite a bit of time at the Vet, taking her in for surgery.  Now that she's back home, I've been very focused on keeping her from scratching her ears.  It's a full time job.  The good news, is that its keeping me from being too social and going to happy hour.  The bad news is that I have to force feed her pills.  I ended up buying a chunk of cheddar cheese and some apple sauce at her owner's suggestion.  Apparently, he usually feeds her pills with the help of cheese, but since I need to give her capsules, I'm going to try and mix them in with the apple sauce.  Total for cheese and apple sauce: $4.36

Of course, since I was at the market, I figured it would be a good time to pick up a few things for the pantry: cinnamon, flax seeds, eggs, pickled tomatoes (strange but i've been obsessed with them forever...this is the reason I needed to put myself on a budget) and asian pears (I've been dying for some fresh fruit...asian pears weren't really the best choice though, they don't have much flavor.) total for those groceries: $5.59

Day's menu:
-AppleSauce Bread from yesterday
-Jasmine Tea
-Kale Chips
-Hot Rice Soup (leftover Brown Rice from 2 days ago, mixed with boiling water and Ochazuke Nori)
-Asian Pear
-Chips and Salsa (I found in the cupboard at the house I'm watching)

Total amount spent today: $45.14
Total amount spent this week: $53.34
Total amount remaining: $21.66

No comments:

Post a Comment