Thursday, December 23, 2010

Can't look back...

Did you know I once spent 5 months living in a retirement community?  It's true.  I was between adventures and in need of a safe landing pad, so I moved in.  The neighborhood was quiet, like a tomb.  Most of my days were spent walking a 10 mile path along a riverbed, trying to clear my head, figure out the next move, and plot out the novel that I was failing miserably at writing.   It was the loneliest period of my life.  My friends were all over the age of 65, evenings were spent watching CBS murder mysteries and cooking elaborate meals for one.  Boredom set in quickly.

I went back to visit recently, and found it strange to be somewhere that should look familiar but does not.  However the feeling of complete loneliness remains.  Almost as soon as I crossed the city line, my chest felt like it had been punched and left utterly void of air.  I can't go back there again.

No comments:

Post a Comment